Monday, March 30, 2009

¡¡ NEUE MUSIK !!

Aural sensations to grace, subvert and enlighten my head as of late. No black metal throwdown yet, but instead I got turned onto ARNE NORDHEIM , an early Norwegian electronic master, still alive and kicking, whose music revolves around the themes of love, solitutude, death and the landscape. What more does one need for inspiration? A thought that has crossed my mind quite often in the waning daylight that filters through my gjesteatelier and announces the dusk through blue hued suggestion.












Yesterday evening, after a long weekend of art openings, beer, haus parties, wine, DJs, whiskey, 8mm film screenings, slideshows and the like, I attended the 1000-year old Nidaros Cathedral for the Trondheim Boys Choir singing Mozart's Requiem. Granted, they were accompanied by outgrown choir boys doing the Basso parts, four adult soloists and an orchestra, but the haunting minor-toned lilting voices of these children sent ice and melancholy through my veins with an air of such levitating power that it was hard to witness and INCREDIBLE. Did I mention that none of the children had any lyrics or sheet music, it was all by rote?



2 comments:

  1. I've got a recording of his called "Electric" from the early 70s that's pretty good. I imagine Eno and Bowie listening to it before recording "Low".

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I have heard is the Trondheim Tapes, but it really suited me here in Trondheim! Perhaps it's the local source overlap magic, but I highly recommend them. I'll have to search out Electric, thx!

    ReplyDelete