Sunday, March 22, 2009

Got to Love That Diamond in the Rough

Last Thursday evening, I ventured down with Gavin to the Nova theater complex to see Werner Herzog's "The White Diamond" for the second time. A fascinating documentary, it still leaves me wont for his bolder films. It is worth it just to hear his magical voice with the exaggerated pronouncement of Bavarian inflection. The most special part of this experience, however, was thus: Spooked by the expense of a Cinemateke membership that we needed in order to go in, Gavin hoofed it home. I sprung for it, my heart set on the dark hug that is the movies, only to discover that with membership comes a free film! I ventured into the theatre, where I sat in absolute hedonist abandon. I fancied myself at a private screening, as I was the only one in the whole theater! Amazing. For those of you NOT living in crowded NYC where every film screening is practically full or sold out, you may be missing how incredible and special this was. Just trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment