Thursday, May 14, 2009

What To Do When S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) Sets In?

Why, have a pub quiz, of course! At the Kantrybaer!
This local legend is Iceland most northern and, yup, ONLY, Country & Western bar, run by the Icelandic Cowboy,
Hallbjon Hartasson, is also THE (only) place to go in Skagastrond. Only open one night a week, except in high season (1/2 summer), I went in hopes of catching a glimpse of the cowboy himself, but I was told that he is "aging" and rarely frequents the bar, although he lives right across the street with a giant satellite dish! The closest I came was a picture of him hugging Dolly Parton on the wall, which I meditated on when the frustration of trying to do a pub quiz in Icelandic proved to be too much, even if it WAS presided over by the mayor. I teamed up with Bekke, the former headmaster of the school, and his wife Signy, and helped them win with some random naturalia and Steinbeck trivia that I didn't even know I possessed. The prize? A 12 pack of Carlsberg, woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment