Friday, April 24, 2009

en route to sweden: "Tacky Trip"

On the last day there, Line, Nath and I took their little car and went on a scenic drive across the border into Sweden. The landscape was still fighting the spring transition, but gorgeous with golden light and vast farmland dotted with alpine style cabins. We stopped at a Sami reindeer farm to buy the reindeer meat for the traditional stew they cooked for me that night- brown cheese sauce with juniper berries and reindeer chunks, served with cheap red wine purchased across the border. I got boot severely stuck in the tundra but it was worth it for the glorious vistas. They told me that this journey into the eastern country roughly translates at "Tacky Trip," as most people use the impetus of MUCH cheaper booze across the border to make the trip. We stopped at a cafe before we headed back and I had a bite of Reindeer Pizza, as I gazed at the skin on the wall. It's enough to make old Santa shed a few, but pretty tasty as far as game goes.










No comments:

Post a Comment